Today, I came home from work and took Owen to the store with me. Though I try to do this errand solo, he is usually pretty well behaved with me when I do take him. Things changed today. He had not taken a nap earlier in the day and I had to wake him from his 5 minute nap in the car so I could get my shopping done. Bad move. He slept on my shoulder in the store for a few minutes before opening his eyes and perked up enough to point and say "Owen want that!" That is how the rest of the shopping trip went. WHINE was not on my list, but I sure got it anyway! A fellow shopper in Trader Joe's looked at me with a tired face, no smile and a monotone voice and said; "I have three of them.....fun." His comment made me laugh at least. I got through the rest of the store with one promise of a fruit leather strip when we were done. I hate to bribe, but I was desperate.
One store down, one to go. I wanted to go to Whole Foods, but didn't want to be there close to 5:00 with Owen acting the way he was, so I drove to our local Von's instead. When we walked through the double doors he whined about wanting every thing he put his big blue eyes on. This is how it all went down:
"Owen want this Mommy" to "want this, want this, want this, want this, waaaaaant thiiiis!" to "GRRRRRR, OWEN WAAAAANNNNNNT THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!"
Meanwhile, I am pushing him around in a faulty cart with a bad wheel, whispering and talking calmly to get him to stop. Not happening. I cut my list in half and grabbed only the things I needed for Easter morning and got in line. He grabbed a Snickers Bar and I put it back, then he laid eyes on a big yellow package of peanut M&M's that he couldn't quite reach. It then went to yelling for "CANDY!!!!" over and over and over and over (you get the point) again. Once he realized he wasn't going to get what he wanted he let out a shrill, high pitched, top of his lungs, scream. It was the sort of scream that force people to mutter nasty things under their breath. The sort of scream that raises shoulders to the ears and makes the eyes squint. That is when I unbuckled him, ditched the cart in line and left my groceries that were already on the conveyor belt and put him in the car to head home.
He didn't say a word the whole way home, and neither did I. I tried to take the long way home to get him to nap, but of course, he was over it by then. He had one more major melt down when we got home over unloading the groceries, and a few mini ones that he got over fairly fast before bed time. Fingers crossed he naps tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
ahhh the joys of toddlerhood. They have so many needs and so few words to express them, and we big people just rule over everything making it so hard, taunting them with stuff and fun they cannot have because..."we say so." They say it gets better after 5.
I will forge ahead and report back.
Post a Comment