I tried to cut the tips off all his pacis last week. This is supposed to help them wean themselves when they realize that it didn't do anything for them anymore. However, Owen didn't seem to care. He sucked way like normal and didn't let it phase him. They just got gross and filled with saliva and germs...ewwww.
On to plan B: The Paci Fairy. We collected his pacis and put them in a pretty box by his bed for the Paci Fairy to take at night. She would take them to new babies that needed them, and in return, leave a present for Owen in the morning. Owen was very excited at the thought of this. He happily put his pacis in the box and said good bye. We were so excited, and thought "that was easy!" Once it was time for bed, it took 2 1/2 hours for my darling to get to sleep. ; ( We must have went in his room close to 10 times to settle him down. He was happy with us there, but the second we left he was hysterical. I basically had to rub his head until he fell asleep with me there.
This is what he woke up to from the Paci Fairy
Tonight: It's now after 9:30 PM and he's still up. In and out of tears. I spent 30 minutes in there rubbing his belly and his head. He was close to sleep and I slipped out. He noticed my absence 2 minutes later and started bawling! This is so not fun. I am typing all these details so I remember what to do with the next baby, and to advise other parents, DO NOT take your kid's paci away from bed time until they are ready. He used to be the BEST sleeper. If I don't give in tomorrow and get him a new paci (which I may), I hope this doesn't last much longer.
I feel so bad taking away his one little comfort item (other than his blanket). He loves his little stuffed friends too, so that helps. Right now he sleeps with a Christmas bear he got from Santa, two stuffed dogs ("Jacquamoux" and "Puppy"), a little white teddy bear with a chewed off nose (thanks to the real Jacquamoux) and a seal named "Silky."
Sorry to bore you with the details of this. I am sure it all seems trivial to people without kids, but this is HARD.



1 comment:
Oh Terri, I am so sorry. I think I may have been one of those people telling you it was easy. I too felt like I was taking away a piece of comfort from Samantha that also made our nights/naps so easy.
Mr. Owen is so persistent, even sucking on them with holes!
I am a firm believer in "picking your battles" especially with toddlers and I will adopt this way of thinking even more so when #2 arrives so go with your heart on this one. He is not going to take it to college :)
On the other hand, maybe try and stick it out a few more days. You have made it this far already, which has been torture I know, but I really do think he will forget about it. And just like with anything that has to do with the "tough love" we give our children, it's harder on the parents than it is on them.
Or if you decide to give it back to him, maybe be persistent on limiting it only at bedtime and naptime (it is not to leave the crib). That is what we did. Samantha used one all the time for the first 18 months and then we did not allow it out of the crib and then we got rid of it at 2. I am not sure if that helped in making the transition for us not so bad.
Just some suggestions!
Sorry this comment is so long :)
Post a Comment