script>document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image%20%3A%20url%28%22http%3A//thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds/BarefootBeach3col.jpg%20%22%29%3B%20background-position%3A%20center%3B%20background-repeat%3A%20no-repeat%3B%20%20background-attachment%20%3A%20fixed%3B%20%7D%0A%3C/style%3E%0A%3Cscript%20type%3D%22text/javascript%22%3E%0Avar%20div%20%3D%20document.createElement%28%27div%27%29%3B%0Adiv.setAttribute%28%27style%27%2C%22position%3A%20absolute%3B%20left%3A%200px%3B%20top%3A%2030px%3B%20z-index%3A%2050%3B%20width%3A%20150px%3B%20height%3A%2045px%3B%22%29%3B%0Adiv.innerHTML%20%3D%20%27%3Ca%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20href%3D%22%20http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20border%3D%220%22%20src%3D%22http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/tag.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));

Saturday, October 31, 2009

In Loving Memory of Jessica Keenan Jimenez


I found out last night that a dear friend of mine passed away after a long battle of breast cancer. I met Jessica in 1998 while getting my hair cut. We really hit it off. We laughed and talked the whole time and found that we had a lot in common. On top of being so fun loving, she was a great stylist too and became my #1 hair dresser after one visit. We exchanged info and started to become friends quickly.

A year later I moved to NY, and she moved to Florida. We reconnected when we both moved back to Santa Barbara years later. It was as if no time had passed at all, we just picked up right where we left off. We started regularly trading massages for hair cuts which kept us both happy and still left us with money in our pockets.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and seemed to have won that battle. Two years later the cancer returned in her bones. She has been in and out of treatments, had lost her hair more than once from chemotherapy and tried everything she could possibly do to beat this horrible disease. She went through all of this with a smile and grace. I never knew how bad things were because she was always so positive and happy. She taught me a lot about the power of positive thinking.

Her love life turned around on New Years Eve 2007 when she met Kurt Jimenez. He has a great sense of humor and always kept her laughing when she was feeling down. He has been a great support for her from day one. After about a year of dating, Kurt proposed mid flight on their way down to Los Angeles for another cancer treatment.

Adam and I were lucky enough to attend their magnificent dream wedding that was put on by the Dream Foundation (grants wishes to terminally ill adults) in January this year. It was absolutely beautiful and exactly what Jessica and Kurt deserved. I am so sad to know that they didn't get to celebrate their one year anniversary.
I just took a continuing education class last week on aging. One of the key notes I took out of it was to "make time for your friends." We all get so busy and sometimes push our friends aside so we can run errands or get the house cleaned, etc.. Those things will always be there, but your friends may not. I wish I had made the time to go see Jessica's new house in Ventura. We talked about the four of us going out one night and getting to stay in her newly decorated guest bedroom instead of driving back to Goleta for the night. That opportunity came and went and I now regret that we didn't put it on the calendar and go.
Though I always told her I loved her when we got off the phone, or saw her in person, her passing has made me aware of how important that is because you never know how short life will be. I hope that you will take my lesson and tell your friends and family you love them often too. There is no reason not to. Until now, I had never lost a friend to cancer and I hope I never do again. Jessica was such a beautiful human being inside and out and she will be greatly missed. I love you Jess.

No comments: