script>document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image%20%3A%20url%28%22http%3A//thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds/BarefootBeach3col.jpg%20%22%29%3B%20background-position%3A%20center%3B%20background-repeat%3A%20no-repeat%3B%20%20background-attachment%20%3A%20fixed%3B%20%7D%0A%3C/style%3E%0A%3Cscript%20type%3D%22text/javascript%22%3E%0Avar%20div%20%3D%20document.createElement%28%27div%27%29%3B%0Adiv.setAttribute%28%27style%27%2C%22position%3A%20absolute%3B%20left%3A%200px%3B%20top%3A%2030px%3B%20z-index%3A%2050%3B%20width%3A%20150px%3B%20height%3A%2045px%3B%22%29%3B%0Adiv.innerHTML%20%3D%20%27%3Ca%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20href%3D%22%20http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20border%3D%220%22%20src%3D%22http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/tag.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));

Friday, May 29, 2009

Giving Back

On Friday evening I got to volunteer my time and services to the Transition House downtown http://www.transitionhouse.com/. They help homeless families learn how to budget, help them get employment and get them back on their feet and living on their own again. I was supposed to give chair massages on Mother's Day weekend for some of the women (mothers) who live there, however the Jesusita fires got in the way so we had to reschedule. I was not feeling like I wanted to go, as I had worked a lot this week, was in need of some rest, but once I got there I realized that these women needed a break way more than I did! I was so glad I went. They were all very grateful and sweet women.
It was an eye opening experience. Most of these women had more than one child in tow, in fact I worked on a 21 year old who had FIVE children already. I can't imagine. Her mother, who I also saw, is 39 and has EIGHT grand kids! It really made me realize how lucky I am to have the family I do. It puts life back into perspective.

1 comment:

Victoria Strong said...

This is such a wonderful organization to be involved with. I am certain the women so appreciated your caring hands and hearth!