script>document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image%20%3A%20url%28%22http%3A//thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds/BarefootBeach3col.jpg%20%22%29%3B%20background-position%3A%20center%3B%20background-repeat%3A%20no-repeat%3B%20%20background-attachment%20%3A%20fixed%3B%20%7D%0A%3C/style%3E%0A%3Cscript%20type%3D%22text/javascript%22%3E%0Avar%20div%20%3D%20document.createElement%28%27div%27%29%3B%0Adiv.setAttribute%28%27style%27%2C%22position%3A%20absolute%3B%20left%3A%200px%3B%20top%3A%2030px%3B%20z-index%3A%2050%3B%20width%3A%20150px%3B%20height%3A%2045px%3B%22%29%3B%0Adiv.innerHTML%20%3D%20%27%3Ca%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20href%3D%22%20http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20border%3D%220%22%20src%3D%22http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/tag.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Owen's First Camping Trip

WARNING: This is a long blog posting, so get comfortable! We decided to go camping at Big Sur weeks ago. We were so excited at the thought of swimming in a river, going on lots of long hikes and watching Owen taste his first s'more. Then, 6 days before the trip, I broke my foot. Determined to go anyway, I gingerly started putting pressure on my foot the day before we left so I could help pack. Thankfully my 13 year old nephew Matthew was able to join us on our adventure (for his first camping trip also) and was a HUGE help in watching Owen and setting up the tents, etc...We got a late start on Wednesday morning and didn't get to our camp site until after 3:00. The first day was spent unloading, setting up and cooking dinner. We had a beautiful site nestled in between lots of redwoods. Owen was in little boy heaven! Being able to live, eat, and sleep outside, and not having to take a bath when he was covered in dirt was a dream come true (for him at least)!
Pointing up to the "big trees"Owen kept wanting to blow out the citronella candles as he sang "Happy (birthday) to you" over and over again. It was hard to keep them lit when he was around!It took him a while to get to sleep in the tent, but eventually the sounds of the owls and the crackling fire outside put him out. The rest of us roasted s'mores and played poker until our eyes grew heavy and we turned in. Owen woke up a few times in the night wondering where he was I am sure, but he was excited to start the day in the morning! After breakfast, the boys went for a nice hike and I got to crawl back into the tent, get under the covers and read my book in between dozing off for little naps. Mommy heaven. Once they came back, I cooked up some lunch and put our tired little camper down for a nap. Matt and I read a book while Adam got a chance to catch up on his nap time as well. Once Owen woke up about an hour and a half later, it was time for hike number two and I decided to go as well. This was the hike Matt, Adam and Owen went on. Apparently it was pretty steep, glad I skipped it!
Our next adventure was flat, beautiful and only one mile round trip. I certainly got plenty of stares and "what a trooper" comments on my crutches. It really wasn't that bad, I was just glad to leave the campsite for a little bit and see something I haven't seen before. We went to see an incredible 80 foot waterfall, McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park that cascaded down to the beach where the crystal clear aqua-colored ocean broke on the shore. Owen's favorite part of the trip was not the pristine waterfall, but the 50 foot long tunnel he could run back and forth in. He must have run a total 5 miles non stop in that thing, shouting "Tunnel! Tunnel! Whoo-whoo!" After dinner, we decided to start the s'mores a little early so Owen would get his share. He was not too interested. All he wanted was the graham crackers. Fine with me, I was a little worried about him eating a ton of sugar before bed anyway! I am sure by the time we take our next camping trip he won't pass them up!


The next morning we packed up and headed home (notice the crutches strapped to the top of the truck...one trip I will not forget!). We did make a stop in San Simeon to check out the elephant seals. They were so cool to watch.
We had a great time overall and I am so thankful for all the hard work Matt and Adam did to make the trip possible.

Owen and Matt became good buddies after this trip. Matt was very patient with him and played "patty cake" whenever he asked. : ) They entertained each other the whole way there and back.
He wore himself out on this trip. In fact the day we got home, we put him down by 7:15 PM and he did not wake until 9:50 AM! Woo Hoo! We all needed that extra rest. Thanks Owen! XOX

No comments: