Emily is already a week old, and I haven't written this blog post because I have been enjoying every second of holding her tiny warm body in my arms, and stroking Owen's soft blond hair, reassuring him that he will still be loved and cared for just as much as ever. They are now both sound asleep, so finally it's time to write Emily's story before I need to starting writing about her rolling over, first foods and walking!
This isn't the story I had intended to tell, but it is my story none the less. Tuesday July 6th I had my weekly OB appointment with Dr. Green. Since I was getting close to being 2 weeks over due, he sent me to a specialist to do a non-stress test to make sure the baby was still thriving. This test includes checking amniotic fluid levels (which were still very good) and sitting in a chair for 15 minutes while they monitor the baby's heart rate. They noticed some decelerations even though most of the time I was there it was normal. The nurse was a little concerned so she sent me across the street to the hospital to monitor the heart rate for an hour instead.
Once I was hooked up at the hospital, whenever I moved to one side, or got up and then laid back down, the decelerations would happen. Needless to say after about 2 hours of monitoring, they were ready to admit me and induce labor (which I was dreading!).
I had started moderate irregular contractions the night before, so I knew we were getting close. I had planned on going to my OB appointment that morning, coming home to go for a long walk on the bluffs to hopefully get labor going. However, my plans changed. I called Adam and told him to finish packing the hospital bag, drop off Owen at my Mom's house and meet me at the hospital, we were going to have a baby in the next 24 hours. I was scared of the impending labor, and very sad I didn't get to say a proper good bye to Owen before he saw me with a new baby (which probably bothered me the most). The nurses were all amazing and took good care of me reassuring me things will be fine.
They kept monitoring the baby before they induced me to make sure that she would be able to withstand the demands of labor. Every time I rolled to one side the heart rate would go down too low, ultimately Dr. Green didn't think it would be a good idea to go through labor and started preparation for an emergency Cesarean section.
When this occurs there is no time to mentally prepare for what is about to happen. I had no idea how this procedure worked (and why should I? I was planning on a natural birth like I had with Owen). I have never had surgery in my life and my only hospital stay was when I had Owen, so needless to say I was scared and pretty upset. I was first asked a hundred medical history questions, then wheeled into a sterile bright white room. I was rather upset that my daughter would have to be blinded by these lights when she entered the world. Adam was left behind and told to wait as they prepped me for surgery. They told him it would be ten minutes, but he told me it was over twenty, and he paced and prayed every second of it. He was then invited into the operating room in scrubs and then sat next to me and held my hand as they began the surgery. No longer then ten minutes later at 7:55 PM we had a baby. Adam didn't watch the surgery over the curtain, but he did see as Emily was raised out of me that her umbilical cord was wrapped once around her belly and again around her legs! That solved the mystery of the irregular heartbeats. We are so thankful our doctor made the right call in an emergency and we have a beautiful healthy daughter to show for it.
We then heard the sweetest little cry that made me tear up and feel some relief for the first time in hours. Emily Lynn Anton had finally come to join us. Everyone was talking about all her hair and how tiny she was. I couldn't see because she was on the other side of the room and there was a curtain over my body that I could not look around. Once she was checked by the nurses and bundled up, Adam brought her over to me so I could see our darling little girl. She wasn't crying, she just looked straight into my eyes to tell me that all would be OK. I was left paralyzed on the table while they sewed me up and Adam left with Emily and the nurse to do the routine tests before meeting me in the recovery room later.
I started shivering uncontrollably for about an hour and a half during and after the surgery. This was due to the anaesthesia in the spine as well as the shock from what my body had just gone through. Once Emily was finally in my arms, my shivering stopped and so did her cry. When they took her away, the chatters came back. She makes me feel so warm, calm, balanced and grounded. I feel so connected to her already, and she is only 7 days old. She has slept on my chest or by my side every night since. I have never slept so well (except last night when she woke up a little more often than I was wanting!).
There it is, Emily's birth story in the raw. It's not how I had envisioned her birth, but the fact that we are both healthy and happy now is all that matters.
Emily's Birth Stats:
6 lbs
18 inches long
Not sure why she was so tiny, but she is making up for it now. She has gained almost a pound in a week already!
(Owen was 8 lbs and 21 inches)
Thank you to all our doctors, nurses, parents, family, friends and everyone who has expressed their support and well-wishes to our wonderful little family.
Go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/owencrazy/WelcomeEmilyLynn#
For those who want to see more pictures of our little girl:)



2 comments:
Great job at telling Emily's birth story! She is sooooo adorable, I love your pics.
Oh Terri... this is entirely heartwarming! Thank you so very much for sharing. Look forward to seeing all of you soon. xoxo Cindy
Post a Comment